Monday, October 1, 2007

My Future Home (November 27th, 2007)

Voggu, Tolon Kumbungu, Northern Region

Today was the big day when we found out where we will be stationed the next two years.

I am happy with my site. It is an hour outside of Tamale, a big central city, but I am in a small village of 1,619 people. I will not have electricity or running water but I will have my own house. It is a new site near other new sites to focus on Guinea Worm eradication. My primary focus will be creative Health Education in the community of farmers. I will be encouraged to develop novel health education tools and programs. The national Guinea Worm Eradication Program (GWEP) may be able to support programs with a written budget. Yea.

I will be fairly close to 6 others doing similar things. We are a good group. There is also a Volunteer who has been there a year who will be close by and is apparently very good and serious about photography. He does nice slide shows I hear. Also, there is a Deaf Art School PCV teacher pretty close. Repeat Yea.