Thursday, October 11, 2007

What We Are Doing Now

We are busy. I wake around 6:30am. I eat Hot Oats with Sugar. Sometimes an Orange too. I sometimes take my bucket bath, usually with hot water heated from the fire mixed with other water (from Rain off Zinc Roof or nearby Borehole which they turn on occasionally and everyone argues over the water). Then I sweep my room (everyone sweeps all the time - even the dirt on the ground). I go meet my 2 neighbors to walk to where we need to go.

I go to either language or Water/Sanitation. One is from 8-12 and the other from 2-5. Break for lunch. Thursdays and Fridays are different though - we meet everyone those days and do other stuff including market and expensive internet. Saturday we have language again and soccer practice. Sunday we do something fun - we climbed rocks last sunday and this sunday we will go to some bat caves.

Lunch is always my big meal - I have tried some yummy stuff - and have watched how to make some of it too. It all involves grinding. One of my Favorites is Boiled Yam that you dip into a stew that has almonds, tomato, onion, and pepper - all ground up. There is something called Red Red which is fried Plantains that you dip into a Beany Concoction. It is tasty but made me very tired. I tried a Dagbani specialty one morning - milled corn that has ginger and some other ingredients in it. mmmmm.

Dinner I have requested small small - usually a boiled egg and maybe a banana and some bread with tea. Recently though they made me some pasta shells which of course I put the Laughing Cow cheese on and I had such a big smile on my face my Mami said she was going to make it everyday but I told her please not to.

There is a beautiful sunset or a thunderstorm around 6pm and then I usually sit around with my family and talk while they pound fufu and sew, visit others, try to study language, write, edit audio, draw, read... I retire to my room around 9 or so and then go to bed between that time and usually 11.

About 4 more weeks here and 2 weeks on field trips.