Saturday, September 29, 2007

Mami & Dadi

September 29th

I got new parents a couple days ago. They are super. Their names are Emmanuel and Janet. They have one 18 year old boy who has a similar watch (big & round) and a 13 & 10 year old girl who are smart and fun.

We were in our colony in Techiman for 3 days before getting a family. Now we are really in Ghana, before this was Summer Camp.

My parents are farmers of yam, cassava and banana. They eat fufu everyday but I will probably eat riceballs with Peanut Soup because it is my favorite. My Dadi is also a tailor! He can make beautiful dresses. I will be buying fabric soon.

When I walk with my Dadi through town and people call me small girl he tells them I am really 24, a lot like my Dad Dad. But my parents here are small too so we fit very well together. They seem to understand that I cannot eat a lot which is great. They also understand a lot of other things. They each come from a family of 11 (both #6) but do not want to have so many children as to not be able to provide proper education for them.

I have a nice room with beautiful blue colored walls. My once-a-week Malaria pill has been a pain but has given me only one bad nightmare. A bad spirit took over my soul and "I" don't know about it.

The common cheese here is Laughing Cow (the processed spreadable cheese). I actually love it and have to ration it for myself so I don't eat it all at once. But the kids have promised to help me try to milk one of the local goats to make cheese. I showed them a picture.