Sunday, December 16, 2007

Dancing Dances

(In order of appearance)

At the conclusion of a funeral - or just cause, it is called the Tora and is for only women, though men beat the drums for it. The woman stand in a line and two at a time run/ dance toward the other with a sort of skip, hop and jump and bang butts together! I did try...

A dance for the men - this involves a big swingy woven shirt that comes in plenty of different pretty color combinations. They also wear a little slightly floppy hat that is often a velvet material. They swing around in this dance and people put coins on their foreheads. Kind of a free for all including dancing drummers - and the best part - a screeching woman.

There was a "dance party" thrown by the Guinea Worm Eradication Team who provided a generator, music and sporadic educational commentary. As I approached the dance I thought it would be just people dancing, but no, it was a big huge circle of everyone and then some would go into the middle to dance to a song I think they picked. I did not. I had some Fear. But if forced I was planning on pretending to be an acrobatic ballerina, as if that is how americans dance... My favorite dancing couple was an old old man and young young girl, basically just shuffling about.

Here's a good one I finally got to see - The men dress up like women with wigs, snug clothes, skirts and tutu like things. Then they shake their booties.