Thursday, April 10, 2008

Peas & Carrots

There are two families within the large Dagomba tribe here in my Northern Region. I call them Peas and Carrots. There is hardly a difference between them except there are more Peas and "naturally" they support opposite political parties.

My Buddy Abdulai is a Carrot and Superstar Alidu is a Pea. Hmmm... The plot thickens.

Something happened about a month ago when I met a certain man called Prince from Voggu here at a funeral who now works as an advisor to the President.

I knew some of his legend and that he was powerful and had built the health center (where bats live now), put up the electrical wires (nothing running yet), and my house. Naturally I thought maybe he could do more.

What I didn't know was that he is a controversial character. He's a carrot. He was a carrot in power when the pea Paramount Chief (of all Dagombas) was Murdered 4 years ago (power changes from Pea/Carrot after a chief's death). The crime is still unsolved.

This largely small incident woke me up to the reality of my insignificant significance. I will leave it at that. I will be going on a trip for the elections here later this year... yes.