Monday, April 21, 2008

In-Service-Training

April 21-26

This was about a week of flashback to training but we all got to bring our counterparts so that was fun. We should have/could have had this at the beach but for some reason our organizer is tired of having it there!

We ate enough protein to last the year I think. Got to go swimming and stay in a fancy hotel room with fancy tile floors that feel nice under the feet. I jumped on the bed and did flips too (so I could get hungry then just for fun). I lost my beloved change purse I have had since I was 12 and admired the stylish front desk woman's short tie.

It was a great bonding experience with Abdulai and I think he got a lot out of it all. Not just swimming in a pool which he had never done and playing Marco Polo (he kept saying Michael Polo). Or seeing me drink beer, which in my village of muslims who don't drink I never let on that I did...

We interviewed him and he said that he thinks we were all put in the right communities and he is happy with his Peace Corps Volunteer- compared to the rest. Ok - so I asked him the question but I think it's true. And it's true for me too! We shared experiences and ideas. I got paler from all the sitting inside. We got a lot of papers on proposals we could write... and the small print.