Thursday, November 1, 2007

Halloween/ Day of the Dead

I dressed as a Ghanaian Seventh Day Adventist School Girl (borrowing my sister's school uniform dress & shoes) with a small lunch canteen and a Big Knife (like a Macheti - because students will sometimes weed the grass around the school). The village thought this was absolutely the funniest thing. They wanted me to display my grass cutting skills, which made them double over in hysteric laughter- they could hardly speak they were laughing so hard... I loved carrying the large "weapon" around because it added a horror element to me but was "normal" to people here. I told them I was dressing up for the American Holiday and they seemed to understand that very well. I went to the big town and got a lot of double takes. They were so confused! Some people would ask where I was a student, others were speechless and some would make noises of disbelief. One told me that if I am wearing that I need to go to school. I think I have done well. I am glad I decided on it instead of the group Latrine, Guinea Fowl or Mosquito Net Dress idea.

Another good costume was a girl who dressed as Diarrhea. She made a foam hat butt and stuck a brown sheet in it that draped over the back of her head like a veil.

A Side Note - The other day my sister was carrying an ax on her head to farm. It was hanging down in such a way that any sudden move would send it shooting into the back of her neck.

Another Side Note - 'That Is Fine' and 'You have Done Well' are common phrases I hear on a daily basis, especially when I sweep.