Friday, November 23, 2007

Leaving The Land of Point

Today is the last day in Training and with my family. I am moving. I also forgot to mention that the The Point play was a smash! It happened some weeks ago.

I thought we had an experimental play about the kids attempting to put on a play- like most of our practices had gone (of which there were 7) but the day of we took the kids out for a final practice before the supposed show and were pleasantly surprised. (At the practice before this half of the kids half rebelled against us because they wanted to play soccer. Then we said ok - go play soccer and they wouldn't.)

While we practiced the finishing touches on the set design were made including sharp points for all heads and a beautiful sign somehow tied in place by a ceiling beam and a bench welcoming the crowds in the front of the un-finished church.

Oh yes, the crowds- I felt like I was working on a film shoot again as I ran around the whole town before the play telling everyone and their mother to come because the school class that we had intended to invite had been let out earlier than we thought they would be. The audience wasn't as old as we were seeking but the benches were full.

The play was presented in the local language (except the songs) so that all the kids would get the point... translated by almost all the Ghanaian training staff so I am now known as the Volunteer of Point.

Yesterday I was in the Training Office checking to make sure I passed my language test (I did) as Little John told me I should (it was an unexpectedly difficult test) and we had to send someone away because he walked into the room and did not have A Point.