Thursday, March 26, 2009

Village Premiere

We screened in the Chief Palace, two nights. With my portable projector, village amplifier, generator, and a big sheet. It was great. Wish everyone could have been there. (Thank you Cheri for riding your bike 4 hours through a wind storm and bad directions (not from me). The village was though and that's what counts. Below, their comments.
"You made a true story."
"Can you show it every night?"
"I like the whole movie. Every part is good. You won't fall asleep."
"We aren't educated and we can't read, but this puts something in our minds we can think about."
"I was planning to go (south), but now I won't. I would like to go for a visit to know our capital city, but not to stay."
"Some people used to think others were making it up."
"I like the juxtaposition between Accra (capital) and the Village."
"I now understand how girls can get seduced by boys."
"I like the message the movie has, especially sickness and stigma."
"The movie starts out funny, but then it gets serious."
"The station (in our village) looks nicer than it is."
"I am not planning to go anymore, I would suffer more than the characters!"
"I was worried about the character at a certain point."
"The movie is educative about what to watch out for and steps that can be followed."
"I had heard of fire (destroying buildings in the south), but now I've seen it."
"Even though we are discouraged from going, people will, because of poverty."
"Nowadays people have changed. Youth move around and our children do whatever they want without consulting us. This movie can advise them like we (elders) can't."
"Our minds now tell us not to move."
"I like seeing Accra in the movie since I've never been there."
"I see using condoms is good, or we could abstain."
"I don't want to go south but if my husband asks me to I will. I do want to see the nice buildings."
"At night we can think about the movie instead of negative things, which is especially good for us elders."