Sunday, July 6, 2008

Deaf Dreams of Art

June 28-July 6

Some may recall the day I heard that I wasn't going to be an art-teacher-of-the-deaf as my job in Peace Corps. It was a sad day.

The past two weeks I pretended I was one. I also taped a whole lot. I must must edit.

I just returned from the annual Art Show- this year at Cape Coast School for the Deaf. Every PC Art Teacher brings 2 students (of which there are 6 -all at Deaf Schools at present.) Cape Coast is one of my new favorite places with its decrepit old buildings and littered beautiful ocean.

Kari, my good friend teaching near me at Savelugu School for the Deaf unfortunately fell ill so I took her students down down this country- (though I intended to go to make The Video anyhow). Before leaving I spent a bunch of days with her students so they wouldn't freak out when traveling with a stranger who doesn't know sign language - and I taught the 2 lucky ones to "Dance A Painting," from which I made a small video.

To understand the video you must also realize that the talented students here are being taught to do drumming in dancing for 2 hours every afternoon by a professional from the Tamale Cultural Dance Troupe (Kari & Nash set this up). It's quite exciting - they are getting good and will some day come to a Theater Near You...

Seriously. I will edit.
Featuring 12 Deaf kids between ages 12-19, Six Peace Corps V. teachers, an Art Show with work from each school, The Ocean, SilkScreening T-Shirts &anything else you happen to be wearing, a lot of Meals where everyone got Fat, Blind Kids Singing and playing Soccer, Batiking, Kakum Canopy Walk where one girl is very scared, and Fireworks in the Rain.

Right now I am preparing my return to Voggu & my divorce from my two pseudo kids. I'll visit them. Maybe even teach a little.