Saturday, January 5, 2008

The Famous Village

When I tell people in Tamale where I live many exclaim - oh! Something happened there once. I have heard different stories, the government came with a tank to break up some kind of civil dispute but the people attacked them and the troops fled and left the tank, the government gave them a bus that they didn't want so they set it on fire, and a horse ran up a baobab tree and left hoof prints that are still there.

I asked a trusted fellow from my village to explain, he did and it was long and complicated involving chiefs and tribes, and indeed some kind of civil war where more than 40 important people got shot about 10 years ago. Mr. Superstar Alidu, the guy I work with often and is a superstar cause he is awesome had one of his eyes shot out in the war and will give me a detailed account at a later time. And that tree fell down a couple years ago.